Sunday, November 22, 2015

High Expectations

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

-Albert Einstein


A few days ago someone told me my expectations of life were just too high and I have an all or nothing attitude sometimes.

I said, “Yup, I have high expectations and I do want it all or at least the possibility of it all.”

Because here’s the thing...I almost died a few times, and I learned this thing called life only comes around once. And when I woke up, on several occasions, from near death, I didn’t lie there and think my expectations were too high. I thought of all the times I soared. I thought of all the people that made my heart soar. I thought of all of the moments I reached for and grabbed my expectations. I have one shot to do all the things I want to do. I have one shot to be all the things I want to be. One shot. One time.

So, yeah, my expectations are high. I like them up there. There is where they should be. I learn to live from my imagination, just like some guy named Albert Einstein did. I am sure he, too, had some pretty high expectations.

To all of you dreamers and high expectationers - please keep it up. We ALL deserve it ALL. Every single one of us. 

6 comments:

  1. Sarah, I recently found out about your blog and once I started reading I just couldn't stop. You are truly an amazing and beautiful person and a very gifted writer. I am in awe learning what you have gone through, and I have to say thank you for sharing your journey. I believe you are helping and inspiring a lot of people, including myself. Regarding today's post, bravo for not lowing your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, Susie, thank you so much for so many kind words. You are very generous of heart and I appreciate your encouragement so very much. I look forward to meeting you one day soon. :) xo

      Delete
  2. I have high expectations for the same reasons you do. I was comatose for ten weeks and spent another eight months after that in the hospital. Then rehabilitation. We do only get one life. A drunk driver tried to take mine and it made me live even stronger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! I am so, so sorry you had to experience this life-ripping moment, too. However, I truly believe we are well again when we live to learn from a place of high expectations. We both know we didn't give up when life was oh so hard. And that's worthy of it ALL. :) Thank you for sharing part of yourself. You helped me not to feel so alone.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate all of your words.